Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Window Painting Technicalities


Holiday Window Painting - it's a great way to decorate your business without taking up floor space!

Here's where I did a series of simple wreaths.
I don't often get to paint on white etched windows, which is this first example. Most of the time these windows are frosted on the inside so it makes the outside is easy to clean. (You can remove my painting with sprayed 50% alcohol.) 
Most of the time when a window is decorated by painting on it, the background of the window appears as a dark, sometimes almost black. If you want the designs to show up when your business is open at night time, it works best to use a flood light on the surface of the window to bring out the design. In fact, sunlight on a window will make the design look like "stain glass"  - the colors will be spectacularly lit up from the inside!

Like snowflakes, I can vary wreaths to be every one slightly different. You can have them all match using the same color or design...or, I've done a whole shopping center with wildly different wreaths on each storefront too. 

My colors are slightly transparent, unlike the paint of some window painters who paint on a white background first. Because this white background isn't used, the sort of colors I use don't spoil the tints on windows by leaving a shadow - because of their transparency. 




After the holiday season is over, my colors wash off easily with sprayed alcohol too. I don't use plain old poster paint, so the rain doesn't affect what's on the window. That's why my designs can last as long as ten years!  But I *do* need easy access to the window from the outside. Artwork is best done on the outside of the window so the colors show up brightly.

I *have* done artwork on the inside of high rises for office workers & clients.





Please call 808 333-9366
If you're on the Big Island in the 2022 Winter season with an art job for me and my apprentices.







No comments:

Post a Comment